Minnesota Area Codes 218 and 952 Included
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted 988 as a new 3-digit number to be used nationwide to reach the National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline, starting July 16, 2022.
In order for 988 to work in Minnesota area codes 218 and 952, 10-digit local dialing must first be implemented.
What will be the new dialing procedure?
To complete all local calls, you will now need to dial area code + telephone number. This applies to all calls within your area code that are currently dialed with seven digits.
Who will be affected?
Anyone with a telephone number from your area code will need to make this change from 7-digit local dialing to 10-digit local dialing. For a complete listing of affected states and area codes, click here.
When will the change begin?
Beginning April 24, 2021, you should begin dialing 10 digits (area code + telephone number) for all local calls. If you forget and dial just seven digits, your call will still be completed.
Local calls dialed with only seven digits on and after January 18, 2022, will receive a recording to inform you that your call cannot be completed as dialed. You must hang up and dial again using the area code and the 7-digit number.
Beginning July 16, 2022, dialing "988" will route your call to National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline.
What will you need to do?
In addition to changing the way you dial local calls, all services, automatic dialing equipment, or other types of equipment that are programmed to complete calls to 7-digit local numbers will need to be reprogrammed to complete calls to 10-digit numbers. Some examples are: life safety systems or medical monitoring devices, PBXs, internet dial-up numbers, fax machines, fire or burglar alarm and security systems or gates, speed dialers, mobile or other wireless phone contact lists, voicemail services, call forwarding settings, and other similar functions. Be sure to check your website, personal and business stationery, advertising materials, personal and business checks, contact information, your personal or pet ID tags, and other such items to ensure the area code is included.
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the dialing change.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call regardless of the number of digits dialed.
- You will continue to dial 1+ area code + telephone number for all long distance calls.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 711 (relay services) and 911 (emergency services).
- Any 211, 311, 411, 511, 611 or 811 services available in your community can still be reached by dialing their 3-digit codes.
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can still be reached by dialing 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Business Phone Systems & Hosted PBX
All business phone systems, including HPBX, will be affected by this change as well. In addition to standard dialing, many calling features will be impacted, including:
- Fax machines
- Speed dialing
- Contact lists and pre-programmed numbers
- Voicemail services
- Call forwarding settings
- And other similar functions
Who may you contact with questions?
If you have any questions regarding information provided above, please contact Arvig Customer Care via the chat below or call 888.992.7844. You can also visit the FCC website at https://www.fcc.gov/suicide-prevention-hotline.